top of page

Contractor Information

The Federal Emergency Management Agency provides emergency assistance along with emergency funding. Their funding usually goes to organizations like Corps of Engineers, Department of Transportation and other organizations and small businesses that help with cleanup. By federal law the work is supposed to go to local companies first, then outside companies.


Small businesses need to be registered in a system called the System for Award Management (SAM) which is a database for government contracting.


How to become an approved Small Business with FEMA

The Nebraska Business Development Center (NBDC) is skilled at helping small business and companies achieve that registration. Therefore, if you have a business that could help with that cleanup or know somebody who could be involved in that, you may want to have them contact the Nebraska PTAC at the Nebraska Business Development Center.…/…/steps.php


NCDC helps businesses with SAM registration at no charge. Don't let anybody charge you for this registration. If the business does not have a Dun & Bradstreet number then go to this website where you can obtain that number free. The DUNS number is needed to be able to do the SAM registration.


Use reliable, licensed contractors. Call the Nebraska Department of Labor, Contractor Registration Database at 402.471.2239 or check with the Cornhusker Better Business Bureau at 402.391.7612 (Omaha), 402.436.2345 (Lincoln), 605.271.2066 (Sioux Falls) or to inquire about a business before signing a contract. At a minimum, be sure to ask about registration status, complaints history, and enforcement action, if applicable. Watch out for folks who come to you and ask for your FEMA registration number, your social security number, cash deposits, or advance payments in full.


Report contractor fraud to your local police department, the Nebraska State Patrol HELP line at 800-525-5555. 


FEMA workers and inspectors always wear their photo ID where it can be seen at all times and never handle money or charge fees. FEMA employees and damage inspectors will also be able to confirm your case number, given to you when you register for assistance; a scam artist will not know your case number.

Employee Assistance

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)

The purpose of Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is to provide unemployment benefits and re-employment services to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular State unemployment insurance. This fact sheet outlines general information pertaining to the requirements and conditions under which an individual may be eligible for DUA.

Nebraska Resource Page​

FEMA Fact Sheet

Home and Personal Property Loans

If you are in a declared disaster area and have experienced damage to your home or personal property, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the SBA — even if you do not own a business. As a homeowner, renter and/or personal property owner, you may apply to the SBA for a loan to help you recover from a disaster.

bottom of page